WordPress is one of the most popular content management systems in the world. Millions of businesses use WordPress for their websites and blogs. It accounts for almost 35% of the market share, as it is simple to use. However, most users are not aware that they can be plagued with security issues if one is not careful. This is where you must have a WordPress security guide in place to protect your site.
Learn WordPress Security Tips and Tricks
Before getting into the WordPress security guide, you must be aware of the common issues it faces. When you are aware of these issues, it becomes easier for you to combat them. For the task, you do not need professionals from WordPress development services at all!
Let us take a look at them-
- Malware attacks.
- SQL Injections.
- Weak user passwords.
- WP Themes and plugins from sources that are not trustworthy.
- If the version of WordPress is outdated- the same for WP themes and plugins.
- XSS or Cross-site Scripting.
- The occurrence of a brute force attack.
- A file exclusion exploit.
WordPress Security Issues-Hacks for you to tackle them
Now, you know what WordPress’s major security issues are, the next step is to tackle them. You always need to incorporate the best practices to safeguard your WP site or blog. Besides the above issues, WordPress suffers from the following vulnerabilities-
- WordPress Backdoor- Here, hackers can bypass security encryption with an abnormal method to access your site/blog. The WP backdoor supports hackers to wreck the hosting server with attacks across the site.
- Malicious Redirect- This refers to a malware attack where hackers create backdoors in WordPress installation with protocols like wp-admin, SFTP, FTP, and more. They inject codes for redirection into the site. They are placed on your core WP and the .htaccess file.
- Brute Force Attacks- Here, automated scripts are used for exploiting weak passwords for entering the site. Businesses must have a well-defined WordPress security guide in place as these attacks are quite common.
You can combat these attacks with simple procedures like implementing the two-factor authentication, restricting the number of login attempts, monitoring an unauthorized login, using a strong password for login, and blocking a suspicious IP address as safety measures.
- Pharma Hack- Hackers here exploit outdated versions of WordPress and its plugins by inserting rogue codes. Here, search engines return advertisements for pharmaceutical items when a site that has been compromised with such a hack is searched for.
- DDOS Attack on WordPress- This is the most severe security attack on WordPress. Known as Denial of Service or DoS, bugs and errors plague the code to overwhelm the operating system’s website memory through the DDOS attack.
To prevent these security vulnerabilities, you must hire WordPress developers for the task. They will check your system and give you a custom WordPress security guide to keep these attacks on your WordPress site at bay.
Simple WordPress website security tips to Remember
Following are some simple WordPress security tips for you to remember-
- Never use “Admin” as the Administrator user name.
- Create strong passwords with symbols, numbers, and capital letters. Keep them long.
- Create two-factor authentication for your site.
- WP plugins must be downloaded from trusted sources only.
- Update WordPress regularly.
- Disable the Editor for WP plugin and theme.
- Restrict the number of WP logins based on attempts failed.
- Keep the version number of WordPress hidden at all times.
- Disable all the reports for PHP Errors.
- Work on the file permissions for WordPress.
- Take WP backups regularly.
- Keep a custom URL for the WP login.
- Do not download any premium WP plugin for free.
- Keep the wp-config.php file secure.
- Use WP plugins for security.
The same tips should be applied to your WordPress blog too.
Keep WordPress secure 24/7
With an esteemed and reliable WordPress development company, you can intensify the security of your site further with-
- Cleanup of your WP installation- Every unused version of WP, its themes, and plugins on the server should be deleted.
- Make sure all the themes and plugins you use are updated.
- Change the prefix of the WordPress Table.
- Make sure you have an SSL Certificate for WP.
- Ensure you have an SSH2 or SFTP connection for an upgrade of WordPress
- Safeguard .htaccess.
- Take manual or automatic backups of the WP site.
- Protect the wp-config, PHP in the root directory of the site.
- Configure the .htaccess to stop browsing the directory.
- Safeguard the admin of WordPress with a password.
When you are drafting a WordPress security guide for your business, ensure you include all the above points with simple directions to protect your site from cyber threats and hackers.
Do not let WordPress security vulnerabilities take over your site
When you are creating a WordPress security guide for your business, make sure you consult security experts in the field. They will evaluate your site and point out any security loopholes you might have. With them, you can always protect your site 24/7 without tensions.
Make optimal use of WordPress security plugins
There are multiple security plugins for WordPress you can use for protecting your site or blog. You will find them on the website of WordPress. Make sure you install plugins that are regularly updated with firm support.
To get optimal website protection, always keep the following in mind-
- Ensure you limit the number of plugins, themes, and scripts on your WordPress site for maximum security.
- Update WordPress regularly.
- Seek help from a credible WordPress developer for advanced security options.
- Rely on a credible web hosting service.
Therefore, with awareness and a useful WordPress security guide in place, you can stop hackers from infiltrating into your site. Make sure you use strong passwords, and in case you find it challenging to create one, use a credible password generator for the task. In this way, your site will be safe 24/7, and hackers kept at bay with success!