Livingstone Etse Satekla, better known by his stage name Stonebwoy, is a Ghanaian Reggae/Ragga & Dancehall and Afrobeats recording and performing artiste. The Grammy Nominee (Born on March 5, 1988, in Ashaiman, a suburb of Accra) and hails from the Volta Region and rose to international stardom after being the first artist of his kind to win a BET Award in 2015 and has subsequently won many other international awards such as Afrima, Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Award as well as receiving nominations from MTV EMA, Grammy Awards and more.
He was adjudged the Artist of the Year at the 2015 Ghana Music Awards. He is also a recipient of two billboard plaques. He is recognized as the king of reggae and dance hall artists in Africa. Stonebwoy is also an actor, having appeared in the movie My name is Ramadan.
Stonebwoy began making music in his early school days. He realized his talents and abilities as a lyricist and scriptwriter at an early age, remembering writing and acting drama pieces as far back as the fourth year in primary school. He is Married to Dr Louisa Ansong, with two children.
2012: Grade 1 Album
Under “Samini Music”, Stonebwoy recorded his first hit single “Climax” featuring Samini and subsequently “Ghetto Love” featuring Irene Logan. Both songs earned him nominations at the Ghana Music Awards. After this exposure, he released his debut album “Grade 1 Album”. The album contains seventeen tracks that featured prominent Ghanaian artists including Tinny and Edem aside from those mentioned above. The release of the debut album made the Stonebwoy brand a household name in the music industry.
2014: Necessary Evil
In 2014, Satekla released his second album, called the Necessary Evil. It consists of twenty-nine tracks, including the famous Baafira track that featured Sarkodie. The album was the recipient of three Ghana Music Awards from six nominations.
2017: Epistles of Mama
Released on December 12, 2017; the Epistles of Mama was dedicated to Satekla’s late mother by name Mrs Catherine Lucy Aku Ametepe Satekla. The 24 track album features Sean Paul, King Promise, Burna Boy. The album peaked at Number thirteen (13) on Billboard chart top 200 albums worldwide. In 2018 ‘Epistles Of Mama (EOM)’ was rated the second-best album in the world according to reggaeville. The Album was honoured by YouTube for hitting over 10 million views.
Stonebwoy normally ragga in Jamaican Patois (Patwa or Patwah), and is considered a “multifaceted rapper” due to the various musical styles he possesses. In 2015, he received many awards and nominations ranging from “Artist of the Year” to “Album of the Year”. His sophomore album, Necessary Evil, was the recipient of 3 Ghana Music Awards from 6 nominations.
In October 2019, he was announced as the global ambassador for sanitation. In September 2019, he was made the brand ambassador for Voltic Natural Mineral Water, in a deal that could be renewed after two years. He is the CEO of Burniton Music Group. He is also the second-ever brand ambassador for Samsung in Ghana as well as very recently being outdoored as the brand ambassador for ‘Voltic’, Ghana’s leading H2o brand. Stonebwoy recently purchased the Big Boss (fast growing energy drink product from Bel Beverages; a Ghanaian producer of a variety of top of the range non-alcoholic drinks) Franchise few months after been named the Brand Ambassador,he has been listed as part of the 2019 50 (fifty) young CEOs, by YCEO and Avance media.The list which was launched earlier in 2018, was set out to honor distinguished young individuals pursuing the course of providing solutions to some of Ghana’s pertinent problems. And in 2020, he was shortlisted amognst the Top 50 Young Influential Ghanaians, and Top 5 Young Influential Ghanaian Entertainers.
Nana Appiah Mensah, CEO of gold dealership company Menzgold, sent out words of encouragement to Stonebwoy on Instagram for Stonebwoy being supportive and expressing unflinching solidarity to his brand. On April 18, 2019, Nana Appiah Mensah posted a photo of Dance hall act Stonebwoy saying he is proud of the Bhim Nation president for defending him and that God bless him.
The Biggest Reggae/Dancehall act, Stonebwoy, was also featured in a biography of the National Chief Imam, H.E. Dr. Sheikh Osman Nuhu Sharubutu, authored by Tamimu Issah. The biography titled, A Gift To A Nation, which is due to be launched today, 11th July at the Kempinski Hotel, in honor of the centenary celebration of the National Chief Imam, has a detailed section that reads out Stonebwoy’s visit to the Imam in 2018 on his 99th birthday celebration.
The write-up details how the Imam, upon a firsthand encounter with the influential dancehall artiste, had an affable interaction with him to his surprise and further went on to pray and advise him concerning his music career.
World Tours And Notable Performances
Stonebwoy kicked off his world tour in the Euro-zone in August 2014. He performed in Germany, Italy, Spain and Austria. His 2016 Canada-America tour saw him perform in New York City, Ohio, Philadelphia and Ontario. In the same year, he rocked Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane and Sidney all in Australia. His second Euro tour saw him travel to the Nordic to thrill fans in Denmark, Finland and Sweden in last quarter of 2017. Stonebwoy performed at Reggae Sumfest, Afro nation festival in Portugal, Rotterdam reggae festival, Uppsala Reggae Festival. Rototom Sunsplash. Following a fruitful conversation with Vice Mayor of City of Miramar, Florida, Alexandra P. Davis, he performed as the headline Artiste at the 2020 edition of Afrocarib Festival in Florida.Aside his international shows, he has two solo domestic shows, thus, Ashaiman To The World Concert, and BHIM Concert to his credit. Today, the result of his hard work is certainly paying off.
Stonebwoy International Collaborations
1.Stonebwoy ft Karamanti- Xfactor 🇯🇲
2. Stonebwoy ft Gappy Ranks – Wicked 🇯🇲
3. McGalaxy ft Stonebwoy n Cynthia Morgan – Go Gaga 🇳🇬
4. Dj Neptune n Olamide ft Stonebwoy – Baddest 🇳🇬
5. Skiikane ft Stonebwoy- Loke 🇳🇬
6.Irene Ntale ft Stonebwoy- Boggie down 🇺🇬
7. AKA ft Burna boy x Stonebwoy x Redsan – All Eyes On 🇿🇦 🇳🇬 🇬🇭🇰🇪
8. Stonebwoy ft General Pype – Chat Dem Ah Chat 🇳🇬
9. Stonebwoy ft VVS Verbal – Ganja Pipe 🇺🇸
10. Stonebwoy ft OutLaws – Watch Out 🇺🇸
11. Cynthia Morgan ft Stonebwoy- Bubble Bup 🇳🇬
12. Rre ft Stonebwoy- Nana Remix 🇯🇲
13. Tifa ft Stonebwoy- Paradise 🇯🇲
14. Khalia ft Stonebwoy- Spring break 🇯🇲
15. Fay- Ann Lyon ft Stonebwoy- Block roads 🇹🇹
16. C4 Pedro ft Stonebwoy- Quero Mais Love 🇦🇴
17. Sizzla Kalonji ft Stonebwoy – Shoot Yuh 🇯🇲
18. Collie Buddz ft Stonebwoy – Bounce it 🇧🇲
19. Beniton ft Stonebwoy – Struggles 🇯🇲
20. Stonebwoy ft Khalia – Hold On You 🇯🇲
21. Stonebwoy ft Jah Vinci – Happiness 🇯🇲
22. Stonebwoy ft Vanessa Blings – One Man lady 🇯🇲
23. Stonebwoy ft Agent Sasco- Hakuna Matata 🇯🇲
24. Stonebwoy ft Pressure Busspipe – Savage 🇯🇲
25. Stonebwoy ft Kabaka Pyramid- Suit and Tie 🇯🇲
26. Stonebwoy ft Sean Paul- Most Original 🇯🇲
27. Stonebwoy ft Beenie Man- Shuga 🇯🇲
28. Kalado ft Stonebwoy- Crazy Wine 🇯🇲
29. Teff ft Stonebwoy x Versatile – Know Dat 🇺🇸🇯🇲
30. D’Angel ft Stonebwoy- Tingisha 🇯🇲
31. Kabaka Pyramid ft Stonebwoy- Borders 🇯🇲
32. Agent Sasco ft Stonebwoy X Kabaka Pyramid X Spragga Benz – Change 🇯🇲
33. Stonebwoy ft Burna Boy – Sick Inna Head 🇳🇬
34. Stonebwoy ft Burna Boy – No Sir Remix 🇳🇬
35. Stonebwoy ft Burna boy and AKA – Take You Home🇳🇬🇿🇦
36. Cassper Nyovest ft Stonebwoy- Fever 🇿🇦
37. Stonebwoy ft Damaris- One Thing 🇺🇸
38. Stonebwoy ft Damaris- On My Way 🇺🇸
39. Stonebwoy ft Cassper Nyovest – Wame 🇿🇦
40. Alaine ft Stonebwoy- Monday to Sunday 🇯🇲
41 . La Sra Tomata ft Stonebwoy- Para Ti 🇪🇸
42. Wizzy Pro ft Stonebwoy x DJ Jazz x Wilfresh- On my mind 🇳🇬
43. Stonebwoy ft Patoranking- Pull up remix 🇳🇬
44. Morgan Heritage ft Diamond Platinum x Stonebwoy- Africa-Jamaica 🇯🇲 🇹🇿
45. Karamanti ft Stonebwoy- Ase ase ase remix 🇯🇲
46. Stonebwoy ft Smoodface – Dumsor 🇯🇲
47. Smoodface ft Stonebwoy- Inna Real Life 🇯🇲
48. Wayne Marshall ft Stonebwoy- One Man 🇯🇲
49. Jahmiel ft Stonebwoy- Mama🇯🇲
50. Mr. G ft Stonebwoy- California 🇯🇲
51. DJ Sawa ft Mr Eazi X Stonebwoy x Moelogo – Tomorrow remix 🇳🇬
52. Starzee ft Stonebwoy- Leader 🇸🇱
53. Young6ix ft Stonebwoy- For Example 🇳🇬
54. DJ Xclusive X Jez Blenda ft Stonebwoy X YungL – Real face 🇳🇬
55. Stonebwoy ft Cara Braia 🇽🇼
56. Morgan Heritage ft Stonebwoy,… – Reggae Night remix 🇯🇲
57. Chichingching ft Stonebwoy- No Weakness 🇯🇲
58. Chichingching ft Stonebwoy x Patoranking x Fatman Scoop- Rock Di World remix 🇯🇲🇬🇭🇳🇬🇺🇸
59. St Brikama Boyo ft Stonebwoy- fi di gyal dem🇬🇲
60. K’ Coneil ft Stonebwoy- Balance 🇯🇲
61. Stonebwoy ft Stylo G – Baafira remix 🇯🇲
62. Jereme ft Stonebwoy- ABC 🇯🇲
63. Admiral T ft Stonebwoy- Ghetto Survivor 🇬🇵
64. Praiz ft Stonebwoy x Jesse Jagz- Body Hot 🇳🇬
65. Praiz ft Stonebwoy- Hustle 🇳🇬
66. Stonebwoy ft Teni- Ololo 🇳🇬
67. Danagog ft Stonebwoy x Davido x Burnaboy – Hookah remix 🇳🇬
68. Jaij hollands ft Stonebwoy- Jah Pinga 🇳🇱
69. Stonebwoy ft Eindo – Mzanzi 🇳🇬
70. Stonebwoy ft Chivv 🇳🇱
71. DJ Mathematics ft Stonebwoy 🇯🇲
72. Banky W ft Stonebwoy n Shaydee – Mire Do 🇳🇬
73. Gappy Ranks ft Stonebwoy- Cover You 🇯🇲
74 I- Octane ft Stonebwoy- Weh have ova dem 🇯🇲
76. Stonebwoy ft Davido
77. Stonebwoy ft Zlatan – Critical
78. Stonebwoy ft Alicai Harley – Understand
79. Stonebwoy – Black Madonna ft Diamond Platnumz
80. Stonebwoy ft nasty c – Bow Down
81. Stonebwoy – Good Morning ft Chivv X Spanker
82. Stonebwoy – Good Morning (Remix) ft Kelvyn Colt
82.Stonebwoy – Motion ft Jahmiel
83. Stonebwoy – Mama ft Jahmiel
84. La Sra. Tomasa feat. Stonebwoy – Para ti
85.Wauve – Pamela ft Stonebwoy X ZieZie
86. Stonebwoy – Nkuto ft Kojo Antwi
87. Cuppy – Karma ft Stonebwoy
He most recently collaborated with Beenie Man on the title ‘SHUGA’, which saw a record-breaking first-week view of 500,000+ on YouTube.
On the eve of May 18, 2019, during the 20th edition of Vodafone Ghana Music Awards, a brawl erupted between the followers of Stonebwoy and his music rival Shatta Wale and his fans, which lead to Stonebwoy pulling a gun on stage. They were both arrested and detained the following day. They both appeared in court where they pleaded not guilty to both their respective charges after which they were granted bail of GH¢50,000 each. They were stripped of the awards they picked up that night and were indefinitely banned from the program by Charterhouse, the organizers. They made peace by the 30th day of the very same month.