Conjunctivitis or pink eye is an inflammation or an infection which is caused in outer membrane of eyeball and eyelid. Irritation in conjunctivitis covers the white part of the eyeball. Conjunctivitis are thin clear tissues in the eye. This is highly contagious and occurs mostly in children. It spreads easily as there are approximately 10 million cases per year as far recorded. Conjunctivitis are mostly self diagnosed and are treatable. It usually resolves and is cured in a day or week. But lab tests and imagery are rarely required in the case of pink eye. It spreads when you touch a contaminated surface or there is a skin to skin contact.
It is similar to seasonal allergies where your eyes are bloodshot, they hurt and itch. With pinkeye we often see more discharge or more drainage from the eye.
Causes of pink eye:
- Virus or bacteria: When your body touches some bacteria or virus or comes in contact with a few contaminated things it responds negatively. This could possibly result in pink eye.
- Allergies: Various types of allergies in the eyes can result in conjunctivitis. Allergies can be possible when someone gets in contact to a different substance.
- Chemical splash: A chemical splash can be possible in case when a person works with chemicals or acid fails can result in pink eyes.
- New-born infections: New born children can get contaminated to conjunctivitis when their tear duct gets blocked out. This could happen when some dust or dirt gets into the eyes.
- Foreign contacts: Foreign objects like dust, dirt or other chemical can get into the eyes and cause irritation, inflammation and other things. Skin to skin contact can also result in this disease.
Conjunctivitis caused by virus are long-standing than the ones caused by bacteria. If it doesn’t get better in 3 to 4 days the doctor may suspect that the conjunctivitis is viral. Bacterial conjunctivitis is indicated by mucopurulent discharge with matting of the eyelids. It’s important to stop wearing contact lenses which affects conjunctivitis. It often cures on its own, but treatment can speed its recovery process. Allergic conjunctivitis can be treated with antihistamines. Bacterial conjunctivitis can be treated with antibiotic eye drops.
Symptoms of conjunctivitis:
- Self diagnosed: Usually conjunctivitis can be self diagnosed as many symptoms like redness, itching, discharge can be some of the symptoms of self diagnosed things.
- Pain: Pain in the eyes are common when one is suffering from pink eyes. Eyes can suffer from redness , itchiness, dizziness and dryness. All this symptoms are self diagnosable if proper care is taken.
- Nasal: Congestion and runny nose are some symptoms which result in discharge in eyes. Also this can cause irritations and many problems which will result in danger.
The infection will usually be cured in 7 to 14 days without treatment and without any long-term consequences. However, in some cases, viral conjunctivitis can take 2 to 3 weeks or some more time to get treated. A doctor shall prescribe antiviral medications to cure severe forms of conjunctivitis. A specific bacteria called poop can also cause conjunctivitis.
Cures and treatments (recommended medications) :
- Self care: Self healing or self care can be done by gently rubbing the eye with water and treating with cold water. It dulls the sense of pain and reduces inflammation.
- Stop contact lenses: When you wear contact lenses with pink eye it can result in pain and cause the risk of spreading. If you are wearing contact lenses and have pink eye, you should directly throw out the lenses and the case and further avoid using it.
- Cold compression: Compression can help in ease of eyelids and stops discharge. Itching and inflammation can be also cured. It is also advised to rub the eye carelessly.
- Moisture of eye: Burning, stinging or irritated eyes. Blurred vision or vision that fluctuates. A scratchy feeling in your eyes. Moisture is necessary during this as it can give much relief to the body.
Certain medications can be used like antibodies stops the growth of bacteria or kills it. While the steroids stimulates the hormone effect and reduces inflammation.. Some of the drugs which can be used are lotemax, sulfacetamide sodium, alrex, dexamethasone, diclofenac, zymar, moxidex, alomide, loteprednol and many more. All these must be taken with the advice of doctor and can be ordered online from pharmacy stores which avails much discount. Also it can be taken from a nearby medical store.